Letter sent to the Secretary of State's Office on June 21
Thank you for meeting with us yesterday. Below is a summary of what we discussed:
Access to Real Time Voter Registration Look up
During our meeting Tuesday, it was discussed that we would be able to access a terminal, within the Secretary of State's office, that would allow us to query real time voter registration data in an effort to verify individual voter registrations. In terms of next steps I think there are two items:
- Can we get details on how and when we can access the statewide voter registration portal at the Secretary of State's office? For this I think we'll need hours of operation/availability as well as log in credentials for the computer.
- Could we nail down scheduling for a quick training at the Secretary of State's office to go over the system? If possible, could we come in some time on Thursday or Friday of next week (June 30th or July 1st)?
Proposal for Ongoing Access to VR Exports
In regards to accessing exported voter registration data, if possible we'd like to receive three types of voter registration lists, and to the extent possible, receive updates to these lists on a monthly basis:
- New and Updated Voter Registrations: If possible, we'd like to receive an update on a monthly basis, beginning in July, of all new voter registration records and updated/changed voter registration records. The first update in July would contain all new and updated records between January 1 2016 and June 30th 2016. Later updates would contain data from the previous one month only. Data fields would include: First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Address, City, State, Zip, CountyID, Registration Status, Registration Date.
- Pending Voter Registrations: A list of all voters who are currently flagged as 'pending' or in suspense by the county. If possible, we'd like to receive this list, in its entirety, on a monthly basis. Data fields would include: First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Address, City, State, Zip, County ID, Registration Date, Status Reason (i.e. why is the voter in suspense.
- Cancelled Voter Registrations: A list of all voters whose registration has been cancelled by the county. The first update in July would contain all cancelled registrations between January 1 2016 and June 2016. Later updates would contain data from the previous month only. Data fields would include: First Name, Last Name, Middle Name, Address, City, State, Zip, County ID, Registration Date, Cancellation Reason, Date of Cancellation
Our understanding is that your office will follow up with the Attorney General's office to determine if this arrangement is possible, while also considering, internally, the time/resources it takes on your end to fulfill it.
Finally, we also discussed the interstate cross check program. It was expressed to us that, as of June 21st, no crosscheck lists for 2016 had been sent to individual counties, and that a schedule had not yet been determined for when they would be sent out.
Overall we had two requests:
- That our commission is given notice if/when cross check lists are being produced and delivered to each county.
- That the SOS deliver to the commission, a copy of the cross check lists produced for each county (with confidential information redacted). If these cross check lists are also matched to the statewide voter registration file we'd like the results of that match as well. (i.e. the CountyID number appended to each cross check record)
We also expressed that, if the SOS goes ahead with sending cross check data to the counties, that it does so as soon as possible before the election. We would propose that if data can not be sent by August 1st of this year, that delivery of cross check data be moved until 2017 to avoid any confusion or error at the ballot box during the 2016 primary and general election.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Sam and the AZ Commission for Election Accountability